RISC OS 5 features
All IYONIX pcs ship with RISC OS 5 in flash ROM. This page gives a general overview of RISC OS and its features.
Click on the following links for more information:
WIMP environment (Windows Icons Menu Pointer)
Unlimited multi-tasking windows on screen. Featuring the following window icons:
- Close, open document directory
- Put to back/Bring forward
- Maximise and Minimise
- Scroll Horizontal
- Scroll Vertical
- Simultaneous 2-d scroll
Application, File, Directory and storage media icons ensure that data is easily recognisable.
In addition Application icons, when run, will self install on the desktop Icon Bar to indicate that they are loaded into memory ready for use.
A 3 button USB mouse provides "point of execution" features.
- Button 1 - Left Hand Button - "Select"
- is used for actions such as launching applications and opening files and directories.
"Drag and Drop" activities such as move single/multiple files etc.
- Button 2 - Middle Mouse Button - "Menu"
- is used to produce a menu at the "pointer". Menus are always of a similar style and because they appear at the mouse pointer there is no need to move to another part of the desktop. This is especially useful when using several applications together on the desktop.
- Button 3 - Right Hand Button - "Adjust"
- allows the user access special features, such as having the opposite effect to Select, access to 3D window scrolling, multiple Select, closing windows after functions, etc...
An "on-screen" pointer is guided by the mouse. The whole "WIMP" environment is controlled using the mouse pointer with no need to use the keyboard other than for data input or, for those who have the abilities, programming.
RISC OS does not use file extensions (although it can recognise them if files have been created on another platform). The file type is recognised by RISC OS from the file header information and RISC OS automatically loads the relevant application if it is not already loaded.
Here are a selection of image file types supported:
Here are a selection of document file types supported:
- Plain Text
- Rich Text Format
The IYONIX pc can read all the above files (and more).
Hard drive, floppy and CDROM support using built in ADFS and CDFS filing systems. Support for file and directory names up to 256 characters. Support for reading DOS floppy discs.
The anti-aliased 16-bit font manager supports both 8-bit Latin Fonts and 16-bit Unicode fonts. RISC OS comes with 23 built-in fonts that can be supplemented from a wide range of third party suppliers.
RISC OS 5 has full support for 16-bit sound and is able to play multiple concurrent sound tracks.
A built in printing system allows the user to select from a wide range of supported InkJet and Laser printers. The printing system also supports text only printing, full WYSIWYG document printing and full colour image printing with a range of configurable options. Printing on the IYONIX pc is done through fast modern USB connections. Note- USB to parallel adapters are available from Castle.
Each IYONIX pc comes with the virus monitoring software VProtect. Although RISC OS computers are not affected by PC viruses a careful check is made to ensure that any viruses are detected as soon as possible, so that they can be dealt with appropriately.
Full industry standard support for a wide range of networking protocols. With TCP/IP and DHCP built in, connecting is easy.
Although most configuration can be done from the desktop a comprehensive Command Line structure is built into RISC OS. Pressing F12 will take you out of the desktop to the Command Line, returning to the desktop is just as easy.
Each IYONIX pc can be configured in a number of ways. The following is a list of some specific areas that can be user configured:
- Boot - eg add applications to Boot sequence etc...
- Discs - Configure in IDE, SCSI, Floppy, CD ROM, RAM discs etc...
- Filer - Customise the way that Files and Directories are displayed
- Font - Choose different desktop fonts and set up parameters for special requirements.
- Help - The simple but extensive Help system can be configured.
- Keyboard - Choose from a wide range of country specifications, together with Auto-repeat, Caps Lock On/Off etc...
- Lock - Allows the hard disc to be password protected to prevent unauthorised computer use.
- Mouse - All attributes to mouse functionality can be configured to meet personal requirements
- Network - Provides access to a full range of network options.
- Pinboard - Allows easy configuration of the Screen background and Iconised applications, directories and files.
- Screen - Allows a user to set the default monitor resolution and choose an appropriate screen saver.
- Sound - Sets the sound volume and other sound features.
- System - Gives an easy method of updating system modules supplied with third party software.
- Windows - Ensures that the windowing system can be fully configured to meet personal requirements.